NYCPHP Meetup

NYPHP.org

[nycphp-talk] Designer Advice

Eddie Drapkin oorza2k5 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 01:58:16 EDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 1:41 AM, Justin Dearing<zippy1981 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've only ever worked with a designer once, and all he gave me was
> photoshop files that I used as references, and some flash stuff for
> this weird flash heavy site. However, I was thinking about a designer
> for my three websites I just launched, lmsotfy.com, lmsutfy.com and
> lmsftfy.com. Since I never worked with a designer before, I'm looking
> for how realistic my expectations are.  Let me know if what I want is
> crazy, please.
>
> First of all price. I'd probably be looking to spend about $200. My
> sites are pretty simple without a lot of content. There is one PHP
> script that generates 2 versions of the same view..
>
> Second, I'm looking for a designer that can give me actual html, or
> preferable edit the php file directly. Beingable to give them readonly
> svn accesss, or access to a branch and getting a patch would be ideal
>
> Third, I want someone who is a designer first. I spend more time
> looking at my webpages through a view source window or the xhtml
> validator than the actual page itself. I want a designer that thinks
> visually
>
> Fourth, I want validated xhtml 1.0 strict. I'd be willing to consider
> another html flavor, but only for a good reason.
>
> Fifthly, I don't care what country the person I hire lives in, but
> being local enough to meet in person would be a nice thing.
>
> In summary I  mainly need someone with actual artistic vision to make
> my page look pretty. However, I don't want to be given a PSD file I'll
> have to chop up myself.
>

> Regards,
>
> Justin Dearing

At the shop, we make use of a fellow named Jesse Arnold, his site is
here: http://mistermachine.com .  He does some pretty solid work,
provides HTML/CSS/PSD.  He's based out of brooklyn, so he's local.
I'd recommend (and I have before) him to anyone that needs design
work.  There's some examples of his work at his site and I for one
usually wind up impressed when he takes some markup I've written and
"makes it pretty" after I "make it work" as the office joke goes =)

Probably not what you're expecting, but he fits your reqs (and
probably your price, but that's between you and him :]) so I couldn't
help but refer a friend.
--Eddie