NYCPHP Meetup

NYPHP.org

[nycphp-talk] Zend Framework confusion

willie klein willie at pdfsystems.com
Fri Dec 14 10:21:18 EST 2007

Hi All;

I've just started using Zend Framework and having a hard time getting
used to this new way of doing things.

I'm a bit confused about how to register databases with the registry and
putting things all together.

I can query tables fine and put the results into my view if I use the
table model, that is make the table a class and refer to it as a object
through Zend_Table_class.  This is fine for querys with one table but I
think for joins its better to use their SQL builder interface.  So if I
put in my bootstrap file:

// load configuration

$config = new Zend_Config_Ini('./application/config.ini', 'general');

$registry = Zend_Registry::getInstance();

$registry->set('config', $config);

// setup database

$db = Zend_Db::factory($config->db->adapter,
$config->db->config->toArray());

Zend_Db_Table::setDefaultAdapter($db);

Zend_Registry::set('db', $db);

/////

Can I just use in my controller :

$db = Zend_Registry::get('db');

           $select = $db->select();

                        $select->distinct()

                        ->from( 'course')

                        ->join(array( 'user'), 'course.teacherID =
user.id') ;

            $data = $db->fetchAll($select);

            $this->view->data = $data;//

This doesn't work and I'm not sure why.

This works with the model:

$dbuser = new User();

$this->view->dbuser = $dbuser->fetchAll();