NYCPHP Meetup

NYPHP.org

[nycphp-talk] [OT] Virtual Dedicated Servers

csnyder chsnyder at gmail.com
Sun Nov 7 17:48:46 EST 2004

> What I'd really like is a local hosting company with a huge pipe that'd
> let me bring my own box in and plug it in.

I thought that was the default colocation setup -- you rent rackspace
for something like $30 per U per month, which includes some amount of
bandwidth. Then you pay for extra bandwidth a la carte.

If you ask around enough (and buy the right people drinks) you'll
eventually find someone who leases a full rack somewhere, and is
willing to let you buy in. You get a discount on what the datacenter
would charge you for a single space, and they get break on their
overhead.

> I'd love to have
> 5TB of space on a server - I could make something pretty cool with that
> kind of space.

Amen, brother. Although it would take nerves of steel to hand over my
shiny new 5TB sever to someone else.