NYCPHP Meetup

NYPHP.org

[nycphp-talk] secure photo gallery web application

Mitch Pirtle mitchy at spacemonkeylabs.com
Mon Jun 28 11:52:14 EDT 2004

Jayesh Sheth wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I would like to post some pictures (from the recent Mermaid Parade in
> Coney Island) to my website. I have considered using Gallery for its
> ease of use, but I have some reservations: I have noticed some
> automated bots scanning my sites in attempt to break into them using
> known exploits in commonly used pieces of open source software such as
> PHP-Nuke and Gallery.

Sad I missed the parade :(  Living a 10-minute drive away makes it even
more disappointing that I managed to miss it!)

I'm in the process of setting up a gallery using the RSGallery module
for Mambo Open Source (www.mamboserver.com).  There are a couple very
active security researchers that are working with the Mambo crew over at
Mosforge.net, and I can say that the security of Mambo is really getting
solid.

I believe all of the gallery scripts start out with humble ambitions,
and as more folks use it, more features are requested.  I guess that's
just the nature of software development in the OSS world ;)

And you are absolutely right about the automated scanners - we have a
group in Brazil that have specialized in writing scanners for older
versions of Mambo, and thankfully the Mambopots Project (distributed
Mambo honeypots) is providing some pretty shocking data.  :(

-- Mitch