NYCPHP Meetup

NYPHP.org

[nycphp-talk] Magic is Illusion?!?

leam leam at reuel.net
Fri Feb 27 14:10:32 EST 2004

Don't have access to any BSD boxes at the moment, but here's my
thoughts.

Big files, and i think "nobody" is the default user for nfs shared
filesystems. Is the box an nfs server?

/var/tmp is usually used for various applications to store stuff, but
usually they clean up afterthemselves. Did the box have any problems
around the date/time? Maybe a core dump?

I wouldn't think it's an attack, more a miscreant application or system
burp. I must confess to not being the most knowledgeable on such things
though.

Two avenues to investigation. Run "strings" on the files and see what
comes up. Or look for other files of that same size on the machine.

ciao!

leam